Having a very busy life with numerous activities on a daily basis can be quite tiresome. For some people, this dilemma can be solved by going to wellness centers and availing of relaxing services to release the tension in their bodies. But how will you know if physical therapy or chiropractic care is good for you? Later on, we will discuss their differences and what sets them apart from each other. Open this page if you are in need of any medical services.
Similarities of Physical Therapy and Chiropractic Care
Before we proceed to the differentiation of these wellness services, let us first figure out how they resemble each other. In general, both physical therapists and chiropractors aim to treat and manage the soreness and rigidness of the body.
They are considered to be healthcare professionals who underwent various training and programs to become licensed care providers. Even though each of their practice has multiple differences, they only have one main objective, and that is to provide services that will improve the overall wellness of their clients.
Below are the common likeness of physical therapy and chiropractic care:
- They target body pain and soreness by using non-intrusive and nonsurgical methods.
- Physical therapists and chiropractors use their hands to manage certain body parts.
- They can work together to come up with optimal results.
- The wellness care providers can go as far as providing other wellness plans for their clients.
- Both of them need to assess your medical history along with a physical examination and some lab tests.
- Physical therapists and chiropractors are licensed, healthcare providers with complete knowledge of their chosen practice.
Principles of Physical Therapy
To simply put it through, physical therapy is the kind of treatment that provides care for clients with physical disabilities caused by injuries or trauma. Physical therapists are expected to reduce body pain by assessing the condition of the body and nerves. Once they determine the root cause of soreness, they will work through that specific body part and all the other nerves that connect to it.
Some of the key points of physical therapy include:
- reducing body pain
- enhancing movements and mobility
- help in recovering from accidental injuries
- avoid the need for surgeries and invasive procedures
- rehabilitating patients who suffered from a stroke, accidents, or injuries
- preventing accidents by enhancing the client’s balance
- work with doctors to manage chronic illnesses
- help a woman recover after pregnancy
- guide bowel and bladder functions
- help patients adjust to a prosthesis
- train patients to use assistive devices
Anyone can basically undergo physical therapy as it can help in managing several health problems. In fact, even doctors suggest this kind of treatment to their own patients.
Understanding Chiropractic Care
Chiropractors differ from physical therapists in terms of their main focus. Their main objective is to provide care by targeting the nervous system, skeletal system, and body muscles that are related to mobility through spine manipulation.
Chiropractic care is a clinical specialty with the intention to treat problems that directly affects the body’s movement. It also tries to diminish pain and prevent it from coming back.
Unlike physical therapy, chiropractic care uses different kinds of techniques to treat their clients. They can provide customized services depending on what the client actually needs.
Listed below are the most commonly used chiropractic care treatments;
- soft tissue therapy
- therapeutic stretches
- therapeutic exercises
- spinal traction therapy
- muscle stimulation
- ice and heat therapy
- nutritional counseling
- therapeutic ultrasounds and the use of cold therapy lasers
- personalized therapeutic programs to improve health
- teaching clients to manage pain with strategies that they can do on their own
- providing information to help patients enhance their way of living
People who are experiencing back pain, neck pain, as well as headaches are advised to seek chiropractic care treatments.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care and Physical Therapy
To summarize, both physical therapy and chiropractic care are essential wellness practices that help people to restore their body functions. Another bonus is that as they perform the treatments, other body pain and aches alleviate as well.
Here are the top benefits of physical therapy and chiropractic care;
- Boosts physical performance and movement. We are living in an era where our daily schedule requires maximum effort and physical movements. With combined physical therapy and chiropractic care, anyone can have improved flexibility, agility, endurance, and strength to perform daily tasks.
- Builds-up muscle strength and enhances stability. After suffering from an injury, your muscles will start to get weak and you might even experience a downfall in stamina. Wellness care can give guidance and support to restore the strength of muscles so you will be able to get back on track right away.
- Abbreviates recovery period. If you are already suffering from an injury, physical therapists and chiropractors can help you have a quick and progressive healing time compared to letting the injury heal on its own.